Thursday, May 27, 2010

Catching up: Thursday night bike rides

Phew, hope I still have some readers. Been a long dry spell. So sorry. I am sure you have been busy doing stuff too, so I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive my long absence.

Thursday nights we ride from Woody's Mountain Bike shop with him and whoever else shows up to ride. He used to send out an email when he first started, back when the time changed. But, Woody being Woody, has quit sending emails out... you know we ride Thursday at 6 and if you don't show up, so be it!

We started out with about 7 riders the first week and rode from Woody's shop up FS 44 along the Chattahoochee. There is nothing like a ride along that river after a hard day at work. The sounds of the water, being immersed in the green forest. It makes me thankful to live where we do.






The next week we rode the same route, maybe a little further and about the same number of riders showed up. It is a lot of climbing, but not technical at all. I think it was a good way to get broken back into riding after the winter months.

By mid April, we were riding at Unicoi. BUT, we didn't ride it the way we usually would, Woody took us in a different and top secret way. Sworn to secrecy, I couldn't tell you even if I wanted to. It was hard, but that's Unicoi. I need to just accept it for what it is, it's our home trail afterall.

The following week Woody bumped the ride to Wednesday so we could all attend a meeting with the DNR on Thursday night over at Unicoi. We rode the trails behind the Habersham Winery that Andrew built and had a good ride with fellowship afterwards at the Tavern. I was feeling pretty confident on the trail that night and rode stuff that I had walked before.

I think I may be responsible for one guy not showing up to ride anymore after that night though. He had crashed out and the way he was laying off the trail, a big sharp stick was RIGHT by his butt and I said something like, aren't you glad that stick didn't go up your butt?! He didn't say anything and Clark & I agreed he probably didn't like the only woman who rides in the group riding better AND having a smart mouth. In my mind, I was thinking, hey, at least I didn't call you Little Hitler!!

With longer days, we have traveled north some too. JackRabbit up on Lake Chatuge was our first out of towner and it did not disappoint us. We were able to ride all but one section before it got too dark.  The water level on the lake was unusually high, probably due to all the rains that caused the flooding in Tennessee.  Check out SABA beach, were we previously had been able to ride out thru the trees onto a big sandy beach. Clark came thru the trees and slammed on brakes to avoid landing up in the lake.



Afterwards, we discovered the Mexican joint in Hiawassee has excellet grilled fish tacos.

Another week, we headed to Rabun County, a trail off old 441 called White Twister. The trail head was pretty far back a dirt road and driving back to the entrance, we passed an old mountain man with a knife.. Don't know what he was doing, maybe checking on his still, hunting squirrels, who knows!! This is the remains of an old still along the trail.



Deliverance was filmed back Rabun County, so I am just glad we didn't see any of mountain man's cousins out there.





Now the trail, Dang, it was fun! Not too bad on the climbs and very open. Definately worthy of a repeat. A beautiful waterfall too!






Another ride had us staying local and taking FS 44 again but riding what's called the Jasus Creek loop. There are several feed plots back there and the blackberry bushes were blooming.





Woody said that he's been back there and sees bears pretty often, so it was scary and exciting at the same time. No bears, but also, no traffic!!  Glad we rode it, but I won't be real interested in riding again til it gets cold. Getting pretty green and will be overgrown before long.

Last week's ride took us back up to Rabun County to ride the Popcorn Creek ride. We parked at 76 & 197 and took a nice fast downhill on 197 to a dirt road. The climbing wasn't bad and I don't know HOW many creeks we crossed, but my fears about riding through water are over. This road is used by vehicles, so the rock beds in the creek are pretty stable and the water clear and cold.

We would ride, cross creeks, ride, climb, ride, cross creeks. Riding along with Dicks Creek on one side and big granite rock walls on the other. As we approached the top of the climbs, looking out through the trees, the mountains were just incredible. The last 2 kicker hills had a lot of heavy gravel and were pretty steep, so I did wind up pushing the last bit before we got back to the pavement, but that was ok!

Got back to the road and climbed on the pavement on 76 about a mile or so, then crossed over to pick up more dirt road. This road had a lot of rocks, gravel and ruts and we were climbing and descending. Coming down one of them towards the end, I felt my front wheel washing out and started sliding. My first thought was, tuck your arms! Clark was riding behind me and saw it all happen. I had gotten my front tire into a rut in the middle of the road and tried to pull out of it and instead slid out. Wound up on my butt with my arms tucked and a nice strawberry on my leg.






My glasses protected my face, but have a deep etching on them. My bike is fine. Rode out and stopped at Joni's on the way home for a glass of wine and a grilled grouper sammich. There was a group of city looking guys in there that I saw looking our way once or twice, they might have been trying to figure out why I looked a little used up. Little did they know I was washing the dirt outta my mouth...

Tonight, who knows where we'll wind up. It will be an adventure for sure!

No comments: