Monday, August 9, 2010

Top secret ride

Thursday's ride found us on an adventure like none we have had.

I cannot reveal the location, we were riding on some trails with permission but they aren't open to the public to ride. It's good to have connections I guess.

We rolled out of town and started climbing a very steep, heavily graveled road. Popped into the woods onto some singletrack.

Found this beautiful waterfall.



Its hard to see the waterfall because a storm was moving in!

We made it away from the creek & were under a shelter when the storm came in. Lots of wind, rain and thunder and lightening. If you have never been in the woods when a strong storm comes through, you are really missing an experience.  We watched some really tall pine trees sway and circle and the air had cooled off so much that I actually had goosebumps. Woody offered me his emergency blanket, but I declined, didn't really want a foil-like blanket wrapped around me with the lightening around!

We waited out the worst of the storm & headed out of the forest. Fast! We got to a creek crossing and I noticed my cycling computer was gone. With darkness closing in and the storm still in the area, I wasn't going back to find it. 
Helen was a welcome sight, all aglow in its twinkly white lights and wet,  deserted streets.

Got to Bigg Daddy's and changed out of our wet gear. Woody had left his lights on Again! in his Jeep but luckily it jumped right off.  He left it running for awhile while we ate. Only in Helen, GA!

Our corner booth was flying the Jaegar flag & I couldn't believe I captured such an incredible picture of Clark


No comments: