Monday, September 28, 2009

Jasus Creek Ride

We have had rain for 40 days and 40 nights here in White County. Our official rainfall for Sautee was 10.7 inches. I don't know where that was measured but all I know is, we were glad to see the sun pop back out on Tuesday afternoon.

The work week was very hectic last week and in addition to being here at work, Clark was working swapping over parts from my Gary Fischer to the Santa Cruz. Friday after dinner, he went down into the basement to put the finishing touches on it. After watching the weather report, I didn't think there was a chance we'd ride Saturday, but Clark was optimistic and finished it up after I was in bed.

Friday night, Joe woke me up to go outside at 2 am and it was pouring down rain. It rained all day Saturday, so we consoled ourselves by watching stupid people do home renovations on DIY Network. Lame, I know. But dang, who decides to remodel a bathroom a month before a baby is due? Funny stuff.

I digress......

Sunday morning Joe and the girls were up at 7:30 am and the weather was perfect. Blue sky with big, white puffy clouds, a slight breeze and 58 degrees. When Clark got up, he was like SURE, NOW its nice, we can't ride trails today after all the rain yesterday.

We don't need no stinking trails, I reminded him of the book we had bought over at Woody's, detailing rides in the area, including forest service roads. One of Woody's favorite routes is the Jasus Creek loop, starting right outside the Helen Flea Market. In the summer, he said you can see 6, 7 bears, easy. So we didn't ride it in the summer!

Clark memorized the directions and we headed out for an afternoon adventure.

We have ridden FS 44 before, but not on FS44B. It was behind a closed gate, but that doesn't mean to bicycles, just motorized vehicles. Since it was gated off, there were parts of it that were a little more wild and weedy then I really liked, and Clark did have to move some trees off the trail. Other then that, it was absolutely incredible. Great views, no traffic, no descents that made your hiney pucker up. Just plain good riding! There was a lot of climbing, good for building character. The rain had really packed the road in good, some wash out areas and potholes, but overall, good shape.

I was reluctant to part with the GF hardtail after reading full suspension won't climb as well. If that was on MythBusters, that would be de-bunked. You get the right FS, and it climbs like a goat! I really think I rode better, and was able to keep my front wheel planted better, could be the wider bars too, I don't know, but all I can say is my sweetie has my ride pimped out and it is dialed in... Whatever it is that is that is different, I like it.

Yesterday back on 44B, I learned a little bit about vegetation identification. Like which one of the branches sticking out has stickers. I saw Clark dodge one and being hot on his wheel to stay in his same line to avoid anything under the weeds, I ducked right too, but not far enough. That joker grabbed my arm and held on. I kept going and when I did stop to look at my arm, I dug a couple of thorns out.

So now I know what they look like and which one of the fuzzy vegetation are A-OK.

The Chattahoochee was full of rapids and we did see Jasus Creek. No bears. 2 live squirrels, 1 dead snake carcass, would have taken a picture of it cause it looked cool, it was all dried up and you could see all the bones, but that was on a down hill. One dead turtle, upside down. Poor guy.

Lots of feed plots out there on 44B. Won't ride it during posted DNR hunt dates, I don't think I look like a turkey, or a deer. I noticed on the DNR site there are posted dates for hunting alligators and skunks. Why would you hunt skunks -- I cringe at the thought of them getting in close proximity to the greyhounds, let alone me...

At the top of one of the ridges, there was a cool breeze coming thru and leaves blowing off the trees. I think we were witnessing the arrival of fall.







I will do this loop again, but will really like it better after a frost kills off some of those weeds!

No comments: