
If you know anything about me, you know that I am very pro-American when it comes to buying most things (sorry GM! I said most, not ALL). Props to Ford though, for not whining for government bailout funds.
Anywhoooo....
More big props to the President for his hard line stance of Buy American..
The House-approved plan's "Buy American" provision generally prohibits the purchase of foreign iron and steel for any infrastructure project in the bill.
The bulk of the bill's spending is aimed at bringing aging infrastructure into the 21st century to preserve and improve the country's long-term competitiveness in the global economy, creating millions of jobs in the process.
The sweep of projects is broad, from roads, rail, bridges, airports and dams to military construction and housing, among others.
That's great, that's what America needs!
Well, now we have foreign countries crying about this. Oh big bad bully USA is cutting our products out, its not right!!
Sorry Canada, Take Off, aye. Americans have to work.
Europeans, sorry, we have been bailing you out all along.
China. Well, China, you know what YOU can do. I have no sympathy for your government's disregard of human and animal life and I don't even think we should trade with you at all.
Its time for America to put Americans to work.
"Nough said!
4 comments:
I am of course with you 100%. on Buy American. But the biggest whiner I saw against Buy American is the US Chamber of Commerce. How is it that the US Chamber of Commerce thinks buying American is a bad thing?
I don't understand that either!!
Sorry, I'm calling BS here. So Americans make shitty cars but we should buy everything else American-made? Not to sound like one of my nutty "Buy American" neighbors, but that's hypocritical. Why do you think other American goods are worth buying but not cars?
Not wanting to give you a hard time because we have two Mexican-made German cars in our garage. But we bought those b/c of the fuel economy and alternative fuel use. If Ford had a vehicle that got comparable mileage, or we wanted a 20mpg SUV, we'd certainly buy it and keep Doug in a job. Hopefully he'll still have a job when the Fusion hybrid comes out, that looks like an acceptable replacement for the Beetle, though we'd have to get another set of snow tires and wheels (doh!).
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009901290432
Well, unfortunately, there is no straight forward solution. My point is simple. If we want Americans to work, we need to have materials being produced in the US. Are we going to alienate other people in the world market by doing this? Yes. But NAFTA has not worked in the favor of the US economy at this point.
There is no way to buy everything American, but I try where I can, if the quality is there, but sometimes you can only find items made overseas.
So, perhaps, if American factories fired up and started making steel and other goods where jobs have gone overseas, it might help the US economy, but it might not. I am not an economist but know that if we just source goods from overseas, its not going to put as many people to work here in the US.
Like I said, no simple solution but here's hoping to better times ahead for the US. I'm not ready to start learning a foreign language.
Post a Comment