Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Tumbling Creek Mountain Bike Rumble

My weekend fun continued. Sunday morning I got up early to drive down to Gainesville for my first 6 hour mountain bike endurance event.

It was a cold morning, 38 when I left heading south and it had actually dropped to 35 before I got there. Luckily, I had my Ibex wool knickers http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1482/8990/womens-el-fito-three-quarter-bike-knickers, a good base layer and arm warmers, so I wasn't worried about the cold.

I actually wasn't worried about anything. I had done a pre ride late Saturday and the course was nothing outside my comfort level. There were some areas along the sewer drain that I had already heard stayed pretty muddy and Friday's rain had really made them peanut butter thick. But, that's ok, I know how to ride in mud! No big gnarly roots, loose rocks or steep downhill off camber switchbacks (ala Yargo!)

Saturday night I had all my stuff packed in the car so as not to forget anything and before I went to bed, I read all my materials from Gene's clinic, to include his advise on coming back after injury. Good stuff there, the guy is a good motivator and his mental techniques are a lot of the tools I used as a WW leader -- positive self talk being the biggest one.

Clark was out of town, but the Albany crew was there in force and VMac was running the pit. I had nothing to worry about, he had my and everyone else's back. He kept us informed on how close to start time we were, was all set up with tools & work stand, and any other thing that his experience told him was necessary. I mean, he was fantastic!

In order to break up the crowd, we lined up for a LeMans start. If you don't know what that is, its is a RUN before you ride your bicycle, the thinking being that it will separate the group so it doesn't bunch up into the woods. Tiffanie IS a runner, so I said bye to her and made my way to the backof the group, because I am NOT a runner. I saw fellow Sorella sister Laina there and she told me she was not a runner either, so we started the run together. She is less of a non-runner then me though, so I watched her leave and kept trotting around the lake.

This in my helmet, gloves, cycling shoes and with my CamelBak on!! I don't know how long the run was, it seemed like it took FOREVER, but I finally made it around the lake. I have had a stupid cold for over a week, and the run had me coughing pretty good and out of breath, but there was good ole Vonnie, coaching me -- "The hard part is over, go ride your bicycle!" and off I went.

They actual singletrack in the woods wasn't long enough for the race, so a good 3 miles or so was on grass and also some mulch along a parking lot. The the other part of the course that was not in the woods was in the mud. The hay they had put down wasn't sufficent for the amount of mud or traffic, but I managed to stay up thru it and the Pink Panther's shifting was spot on, the tires were hooking up, the sun was shining, so I was pretty happy at that point.
After the first lap, I stopped at the pit and started pulling off clothes. I think it was Wade who asked if I wanted a towel, but at that point, I had no modesty whatsoever, I was roasting and pulled off arm warmers and the jersey to take off the base layer (hey, I had on a sports bra!) Put on my jersey again and was soon ready to go back for lap 2.

Lap 2, the mud was thicker, gooier. The singletrack flowed good though. I got back into the timing tent and dismounted my bike to walk it thru. Both of my quads cramped. I stood there for a minute, then slowly hobbled outside. I stood there for quite some time and eventually went back to the pit with the encouragement of Vonnie. I took in some fluids, electrolyes and a Red Bull, stayed for awhile, and left for lap 3.

More cramping on that lap. I was like, WTF, I can ride more then this! Then I remembered Saturday's trip to Tallulah Falls.... Yup, maybe stair hiking wasn't my most brilliant pre race move!

I finished the 3rd lap and stayed in the pit for a long time. VMac cleaned the mud off my chain and got it lubed up, so I headed back out for lap 4. On my way out, my quads started cramping and invited their friend Mr. Left Hamstring to the party. I stopped at the Porta Potty and then came back to the pit. I was done. As much as I wanted to go on mentally, my legs said it wasn't meant to be.

Clark was driving the sports car back up from Destin to try to make it in time to see me on the bike, but instead, he got to see me relaxing in the pit. I was very glad to see him and had even talked to him about some PRB when he got there.

All in all, I am pleased with the race. I didn't get hurt, I didn't tear up my bike, the day turned out to be a beautiful 70 degrees and I got to hang out with all the people that I have missed since we moved in December. I learned a lot too and there are a few things I will do differently on the next one, but a few things that I wouldn't change for the world, the biggest one is doing it with good friends!

No comments: